The Daniell Family
Two portraits in oils hang in the Community Heritage Access
Centre: they represent John Daniell the younger and his wife Susan,
the daughter of Peter Clarke, they lived in Hendford House (now the
Manor Hotel) until his death in 1819 when his widow moved to West
Cowes, Isle of Wight, where she died two years later. Their
memorial tablet is on the north of the tower in St. John's Church,
The Daniell family appear in East Coker during the reign of
Elizabeth I, Giles Daniell dying there in 1613. His grandson
William settled in Yeovil, becoming a well-to-do glover and serving
as warden of Woborn's Almshouses 1645-7 and as custos 1654-5.
His son Samuel was also a glover and a custos of the Almshouses,
marrying Mary Saunders in 1677.Mary told one of her grandchildren
that she remembered seeing William of Orange riding through Yeovil
in a red coat on a white horse on his way to take the throne from
James II in 1688.
Samuel's son (also named Samuel) became a mercer and linen
draper in Yeovil, as did his eldest son John, who married Elizabeth
Goodford, daughter of a wealthy glover in the town. This John
Daniell (the elder) later became a merchant banker and was the
builder of Hendford House (1776); he conducted his business in
premises near his home, later to become Yeovil Old Bank.
His eldest son (Samuel) became a banker, his youngest (George)
a surgeon in Exeter, while the third (John the younger) took over
his brother's banking business in Yeovil and the family home in
Hendford House in 1797. On his death in 1819,his daughter Elizabeth
Clarke Daniell inherited the property: she married the Rev. Arthur
Johnson, living at Rampisham Manor in Dorset which her father had
purchased in 1812.The mansion in Yeovil was let, and finally
acquired by John Greenham, who served as portreeve in 1797.
Hendford House is fine example of mid-18th century
building, with a redbrick stable-block behind. Penn House is
of the same period, and also has connections with the Daniell
family, for it is shown that on the 1806 map as the property of
Peter Daniell esquire. Peter's great-grandfather was also the
great-grandfather of John Daniell the younger-namely the glover
Samuel Daniell II. The latter's son and grandson both
followed Samuel as glovers in Yeovil, marrying well and achieving
the status of gentleman. Peter, however, became a draper and
mercer, owning a large house off Middle Street (built by his father
William) where W.H.Smith's premises now stands.
He owned considerable land in the centre of the town and may be
called its first developer: he planned Bond Street in 1825 to link
Middle Street with South Street, Union Street to link Middle Street
with Wine Street and Peter Street, named after himself. A
date-stone inscribed P.D. could once be seen on a building in that
street. He also sold for £500 a plot of land adjoining North Lane
in order to extend the graveyard of St. John's Church. During the
Napoleonic Wars he was a major in the Yeovil subdivision of the
Volunteer Infantry, commanding the 2nd Company.
Peter Daniell was a subscriber to the Charity School and to the
Yeovil Book Society, a private lending library. Like his
distant cousin John, he played little part in Yeovil's public life,
and though nominated as a Town Commissioner in 1830,he never
attended meetings. A memorial tablet in St. John's Church records
that he was buried in the family vault in August 1834 aged 73.
family histories ...