Newspapers in South Somerset


In 1838 the Chard Union Gazette was published monthly, it lasted two and a half years before being incorporated into the Sherborne Journal in 1841. After that, Nowlan's Weekly Chronicle was published in Chard from 1859 until 1883

The Chard, Ilminster and Axminster Weekly Advertiser which ran from 1883 - 1885 was absorbed into the Western Advertiser, which itself lasted until 1920.

The Langport Herald, owned by G.H. Hemmell, was first published on Saturday, 7th July 1855 and it continued to be printed in Langport until its final issue on 1st May 1937.

Pulman's Weekly News was published in Crewkerne on Tuesday 10th March 1857 by George Philip Rigney Pulman. He sold this paper to Clinker & Tite (publishers of the Western Gazette) in 1877 and it continued to be printed in Crewkerne until 1881 when printing was transferred to Yeovil.

Palmer's Weekly News was the only paper to be produced in Martock; it appeared in 1883 and lasted until July 1917.

The Western Chronicle, a Liberal paper, was first published in 1886 and amalgamated seven previous papers. It was acquired by the Wessex Publishing Company Ltd in 1917 and then by Stephen Murray, a Yeovil printer who continued to issue it until 1931.

The Three Shires Advertiser made its first appearance in 1904 and was mainly circulated in the Shaftesbury Area; it ceased after 1924 and was incorporated into the Western Chronicle.

In 1886, the Telegram was published at Yeovil and continued until 1901 when it changed its title to Dorchester Telegram and was published from Dorchester.

A paper called the Yeovil Leader appeared in 1899 and lasted until 1924. The Western Budget was first published in 1882; it was more of an advertising magazine than a newspaper but only ran for 42 issues.

The Chard and Ilminster Illustrated News was first published in 1874, the East Devon Mail, the Somerset County Mail, West of England Express in 1878 and the Somerset Mail in 1881.


Yeovil had the third earliest newspaper to be printed in Somerset. In 1744 Robert Goadby set up a hand press in premises on the corner of Grope Lane (Wine Street) and the High Street. It was called the Western Flying Post or the Yeovil Mercury and it was first published on 30th July 1744.

Following the death in1746 of a Sherborne newspaper proprietor his paper was sold to Goadby, who amalgamated the two as The Western Flying Post or the Sherborne and Yeovil Mercury and production was moved to Sherborne.

 

The Western Gazette Building

The Western Gazette Building

 

 

The Yeovil Times, published by John Noake Highmore, appeared in 1847; in 1851 he purchased the Western Flying Post and amalgamated it with the Yeovil Times.

The first edition of the Western Gazette, published by Charles Clinker appeared In 1863, and then, in 1867, In partnership with Charles Tite, he amalgamated the Western Flying Post and the Western Gazette, keeping the name of the Western Gazette.

The remainder of the weekly publications centred on Yeovil have been free issues and today, even they have ceased publication, and the printing of the Western Gazette has moved to Bristol, although there is still an office in the town centre.

 

Find out which mystery object we have dug out of our archives...



Mystery

Let us help you trace your family history in South Somerset.



Family history